Skip to main content

Beating inflation- Part I !!!

 Hey All,

Happy Diwali Guys,


    
    As every time I have understood something which is there before in front of us, I just wanted to share it with everyone through this blog post. As usual, we all know what fits us and what doesn't fit us, so take it up according to our own analysis and research.


    Recently I saw a post related to Financial which induced my expectation saying, the saving scheme from Kerala provides a return of more than 8%. I was under the assumption investing in that fund will for sure, beat the inflation of 6-7% and I will be on the greener side. I hope most of us agree with me on this part.

     Reality seems different when I looked further closer at it and as per my calculation we might end up on the losing side as well. So how to defend ourselves, that should or will be our next question right, I have got an answer for it too but this might not be apt or exact as we have multiple choices in front of us.

Let us dive and try to understand the scenario here guys. we can get more details about the above saving scheme from this.

URL http://www.ktdfc.kerala.gov.in/deposites/interest-rates.

 Let us assume we are in a 20% tax slab or 30% tax slab( all these confusions are only for salaried employees). And we are investing in this scheme for 5 years with a return of 8%. before proceeding further read this below point from their site.


All figures shown above are for narrative purposes only, the actual figures may slightly vary depending on the date

                   of deposit, the applicability of Tax on interest (TDS) etc





 Now let us assume we are investing one lakh (100000) in this scheme and what would be our return at the end of 5 years. Basic taxation rule for FD returns: Return will be added to our salary and taxes will be charged based on tax slab. as we assumed we are in 20% tax slab for the return of INR48,595 we need to pay 20% of tax this is INR9719 and at the end.




we would have got only 48595-9719 = 38876. our overall return reduced from 48% to 38% isn't if we are doing this again we might be making a mistake we promised to get only 8% from our investment but in the end, after doing all these calculations we ended up making only 6.65 to 6.70% on our initial investment.




I think now it should have started to ring a bell right??? yes, if our inflation stayed below our return % then we are safe that's like the value of our money neither increased nor decreased. but we ended up spending 5 years retaining the value of our hard-earned money.


In other cases, if inflation is on the higher end then we are on the losing side for sure, I hope this can be understood by doing basic math.




OKAY, we have understood that we might end up on the losing side, now comes the important part of how to defend ourselves, that should or will be our next question right... if it is our next question, in the section of Mutual Fund we have a fund called arbitrage funds. how we can be sure that by investing in these funds we won't end up on the losing side.


As we discussed in the above point the twist always comes near or at the climax in the taxation part. As we are kept invested for 5 years in FD we should consider investing the same amount for the same time in an arbitrage fund. 





How arbitrage funds make a profit here is a simple example who has knowledge of FNO scripts can understand it better. because of price differences in the future market and cash market.



Things we should know before investing in these


1. Their Asset Allocation.

2. Time period of investment.

3. STCG or LTCG.

4. Exit load (usually exit loads are not heavy on these kinds of funds but we need to keep an eye on that).

5. Taxation part.(https://cleartax.in/s/arbitrage-funds)


Again I want to clarify that I am not against FDs I just discuss the pros and cons of FD  so everyone can have their own analysis like me and equip which suits us perfectly.




I wanted to thank the person who inspired me to look into these kinds of small things which matter a lot. Most of my friends know him and might know him as Pattu an author of the FreeFincal blog.

More about him is in the below URL.

Detail: https://freefincal.com/pattabiraman/

his Blog: https://freefincal.com/


Stay tuned for more blogs which are in draft status.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Friend

Hi Buddies! Once again this post is about Friendship and who is one of the best person in my life. Some of you would have got it right about whom this post is. It is all about my Father (Daddy). I think most of us didn't have enough time to share/get to know things with/from them (Nan enavo daily um manikanka pesarapola). From past one year I am sharing lot of things with my dad like place, things, friends money etc. I got to know many things about him during the conversations here I am sharing few things from our conversations We have a grocery shop in our native, usually my dad open shop in early morning 6:00 AM. I used to travel to my hometown mostly twice in a month, one day I reached home in morning 5:00 AM. My mother made a super coffee for me and she asked me to go with dad to help him in open shop (ithuku coffee bribe ha ;) ). After completing all arrangements we had a casual talks and somewhere I said about some Hindi movie and also said that I watched that movie w...

Baby step 1

Hello Dears, How are you? I know it has been more than year since I have blogged. I hadn't been idle but learning new skill. Now you would have an idea that what I am going to share with you now. Yes, I can hear your mind voice saying, yeah man it will be about your new skill?  yes you are 100% correct. Before getting in to the topic, I would like to ask you a question, do you like to earn money apart from your salary? I mean secondary income. Most of the people answer would be "BIG YES". Then you are on the right post. Here I am going to share my basic insights, about my newly learned skill " Share Market (Trading) ". So Guys, please don't confuse between the terms called  "trading" and "investing". Whenever and wherever you see money as the output, there is always terms and conditions included in tiniest font with * on top of it. Let us get on with the topic. Basic terms (differences) between  Trader vs Investor . ...

Colour Full School days

Hi Buddies, I happy to meet you after a long time through Blog. I was thinking about the core of my previous blogs and found that I shared something about Friendship, Social Service and Travel but this time I am going to share few funny things which was happened during my school days. From my 9th Std I am staying away from my  Family, I had and having a beautiful time with my friends. I have spent most of my time with Friends when compared to Family.Still I remember the first day of my hostel life it started on 9-6-2003. While my parents about leave after completing all the formalities in school I said, Amma don't worry I will take care with a smile on my  face. On the very next day when my warden wake me up by early morning 6'o Clock :(.  He said by 6:30 everybody should be assemble in the study hall. I got shocked because I was thinking they are waking up  to go for play. My worries started from there then continued with Bath, Food, Getting ready and assembl...